Monday 11 August 2008

Day 11 Okehampton to Lands End

Day 11 Okehampton to Lands End
On any normal day I wouldn't be out on my bike. Weather better than yesterday but still windy which is worse than rainy when cycling. Looking abel I can't believe I managed more than 5 miles yesterday. The going was hard because of the hills which in some ways are worse than in Scotland or Cumbria. Lower but much steeper. I figured I would have to ride 100 miles to the finish but of course it was a bit further. My body seemed to be protesting to what I was doing to it and all sorts of aches and pains were developing to make riding very uncomfortable. The afternoon seemed to go on for ever but eventually I reached Penzance and the home straight. 11 miles to go and it was getting dark. The signposts seemed to be contradicting themselves about the miles left and it was 6 miles to go forever. Even this point the thought crossed my mind to finish in the morning but I pushed on and crossed the line at 9.15 where Alice greeted me with a party popper and a can of lager.
Finished. Not sure exactly but must have ridden almost 1,100 miles in 11 days. Will to the maths when brain has started working again. Now for a quick sleep and then the ride back to London ;-)
114 miles
Av 13.4mph
Tis 8h26m

1 comment:

bluesnightorg said...

Well done Harps. You are my absoute hero. I should imagine that your bike is probably looking a bit rough round the edges now, though. Time to buy a new one?